Monday, April 8, 2013

Cyberpunk

Thinking about the idea of cybernetics and other mechanical enhancements to the human body is the kind of thing that to me just really sounds like something that could be really cool. I've seen and read quite a few things that had cyberpunk elements to them without ever really thinking about it as cyberpunk before. Recently I've played through some of the games in the Metal Gear series and noticed things like robotic limbs and nano-machines that control the body and before I just kinda took that in as part of the story, but now I see the influences from cyberpunk. I read a bit of Johnny Mnemonic for class and was really able to notice the dirty and gritty nature to it. It seems right for cyberpunk to have that kind of feel. There's nothing really too sleek and streamlined to people losing limbs and having them replace or having some type of neuro-circuit system. I think what I find also very interesting about cyberpunk is the whole idea that it can just weave itself into other sci-fi and feel natural. It kind of feels like a boost to a story really feeling like sci-fi. Maybe you might not think a world is going to be very sci-fi, but then you get some advanced cybernetics and it kind of solidifies the idea. When I read Chuck Palahniuk's Rant, originally it seemed like just the story of a boy, but then slowly a lot of sci-fi elements start showing up and you get a bigger picture of the world the story takes place in. A big element that adds to this is this form of port in people's necks that they can 'plug in' different sensations into which is quite similar to the whole Johnny Mnemonic thing. I think it's always really interesting to read and see the things that probably inspired some things I enjoy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment